The Opening

05 September 1866

Within days after the call for such an institution, the residence of Judge Graves was purchased. This comprised nine acres [three hectares] of land, three short blocks north of the publishing house. A two-story structure for treatment rooms was added. Tanks were installed on the roof of the treatment rooms to hold water pumped by windmill from a nearby well. Loughborough reported:

On the fifth of September, 1866, the institution was formally opened for patients and boarders, having Drs. Lay and Byington as physicians, two helpers, and one patient. . . . We had room for twelve patients. Ere a month passed, the rooms were filled with patients, and we had to increase our help, and provide more room (ibid.).

Related Events