The School Opens

June 1872

Announcement that the school had opened was made the next week in the June 11 issue of the Review under the heading "The S. D. A. School." The announcement opened with the words:

This school commenced in Battle Creek at the time appointed, June 3, with twelve scholars, Brother G. H. Bell, teacher. Two have since joined. This is a better beginning than we had ventured to anticipate, in view of the brief time taken to commence the enterprise, and the short notice that was necessarily given (RH, June 11, 1872).

The "school" met temporarily in rooms in the newly constructed Review and Herald third building.

The Whites were not present for the opening of the school, as they were planning their first trip to California about this time. But they eagerly waited to hear news of its progress and plan for choosing a location and building.

Main Characters: